Laura's Famous Meatloaf

One day early in our marriage, I wanted meatloaf for dinner. Now, you must know that up until this point in my oh-so-young life I had not ever had meatloaf that I was crazy about. I didn't want to stop at the store on the way home from work and I didn't have much on hand. I searched the internet for recipes to no avail. So, I printed the recipe that I thought I could work with.

I made meatloaf for dinner that night and my new husband loved it. Over the years I have enhanced and changed it until it's perfect.

Do you want some? OK - I'll share the recipe.

Here's what you'll need:
Photobucket

First, heat your oven to 350 degrees.

Grease a loaf pan or other dish. Then, sprinkle about 1/3 cup of brown sugar into the pan.
Photobucket

In a large bowl, put in 2 pounds of ground meat. I have used a combination of beef, pork and turkey. This time, I used 2 pounds of Ground Chuck. I prefer to use a leaner beef so there is not so much grease to drain at the end. My grocer did not have a very good selection on this particular shopping day.
Photobucket

Add 2 eggs.
Photobucket

2 slices of bread, crumbled. Or, just use bread crumbs.
Photobucket

One-fourth cup of ketchup.
Photobucket

Add one-half cup of water. And one envelope of Beefy Onion Soup Mix.
Photobucket

Mix it all together and let it all get aquainted while you make the glaze.

In a seperate medium bowl, mix together:
one cup of ketchup,
Photobucket
(Yes, I've had this bowl for a long time. It has assisted me in making many a batch of brownies.)

Two-thirds cup of brown sugar,
Photobucket
If you do not have one of these gems, contact your Pampered Chef consultant immediately.

One-half cup of lemon juice,
Photobucket

and 2 teaspoons of dry mustard.
Photobucket
(I almost never measure this. I just dump it in!)

Mix it all together and pour a little bit (about one-third) into the beef mixture.
Photobucket

Mix well and then spoon into the baking dish.
Photobucket

You can make it look pretty on top if you would like.
Photobucket

Cover with foil and bake for one hour.

Remove from oven and try to remove some of the grease. I usually use a large slotted spoon to hold the meatloaf in the dish and pour the grease into another bowl.

Then pour another third of the glaze over the meatloaf and bake 10 more minutes.
Photobucket

Use the final third of the glaze to pour over the meatloaf after it is served or as a gravy over rice or potatoes served with the meatloaf.
Photobucket
Enjoy!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pretty...

Train Up A Child... Christmas edition

First Day of School 2014