Memorial Day

I am the most patriotic person in my generation. There's no comparison anywhere! I don't know how it happened. Here are a few ways it could have happened:

1. Learning to sing, "It's a Grand Ole Flag" in the 3rd grade. Mrs. Hone made us learn it. And I loved it. I still sing it with gusto.

2. Touring the USS Saratoga when I was a child. My Daddy's boss's husband was stationed to the mighty ship and gave us a tour when I was about 8. I remember many things about that sunny Florida Day.

3. Hearing my great-Grandma Conner talk about her son, Donald, who served in the Vietnam War. He came home and just wasn't the same. He was killed in a car accident not long after returning to American soil but Grandma always said that the War killed him.

4. Playing "The Star-Spangled Banner" on my Tenor Saxophone in high school. At every football game for four years. I would get a little teary every time. It never got old. It is a secret desire of mine to be asked to sing the National Anthem at some event before I die.

5. Traveling twice now across the border to see what it's like living in another country. There are no words to express how grateful I am to the Lord for allowing me to be born in the USA.

6. Seeing how proudly my brother-in-law wore his US Navy uniform. Stephen came into our lives many years ago. He was serving our great nation in the Navy because he thought it was the right thing to do. I'm so glad he did. To watch and see what all was involved with his work during those years was amazing to me. And to watch my sister yearn for his big smile while he was away was heart-wrenching.

Last night we hosted Eric Horner for a patriotic concert and needless to say: I cried the entire time. Every time the veterans are asked to stand, the tears roll down my face.

I am proud to be an American. And I am thankful for the thousands of men and women who have given their lives so that I can enjoy my freedom.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Laura,

Thank you for your kind comments. It was a priviledge to be able to honor those who served in your church last Sunday night. I hope our paths cross again soon. We'd like to invite you to come see us again at Main Street Baptist Church in Kernersvile on Sunday night July 12th 6:00pm.

Blessings,
Eric & Debby Horner

Popular posts from this blog

Pretty...

Train Up A Child... Christmas edition

First Day of School 2014